Jones Falls Trail (JFT) from south to north
Note 1: Follow directions to the Baltimore Visitors Center (BVC). Be prepared to pay for parking or you can reach the BVC by lightrail or the Camden Line by using the Camden/Convention Center Station about three blocks away.
Note 2: By going south to north you will be travelling more uphill
Note 3: Part 1 is mostly urban and some areas are gritty. If you are looking for nature, start at Penn Station (part 2)
Part 1 (south to north)
- Start at the Baltimore Visitors Center.
- Follow JFT path adjacent to light street veering right adjacent to Pratt Street past the Inner Harbor pavilions (it can be crowded in tourist season)
- Follow just past the Power Plant and make left on brick sidewalk on Market Place
- Follow one block, cross over Lombard, and follow wide sidewalk adjacent to Lombard
- Make a left before you cross over Jones Falls that look like a canal here
- Follow until you get to Baltimore Street. At Baltimore Street cross over President Street and then make left on wide sidewalk adjacent to President Street.
- Follow JFT/wide sidewalk past St. Vincent de Paul church
- When you get to Lexington Street on Fallsway, cross to other side of street
- At E. Monument cross back over to the east side of the street.
- Follow the JFT adjacent to the Fallsway past Our Daily Bread and Baltimore City Detention Center.
- Follow the JFT across the Chase, Biddle, Preston, and Guilford intersections.
- Do not continue on Guilford but veer left on the wide sidewalk north and adjacent to E. Mt. Royal Avenue.
- Cross the N. Calvert intersection and make a right on the wide sidewalk on St. Paul Street. Cross over the Jones Falls Expressway and Penn Station is on the left.
Part 2 (south to north)
- From Penn Station, follow the JFT on the wide sidewalk on the east side of St. Paul Street. (St. Paul is opposite Charles Street at Penn Station)
- At Lanvale Street, make a left on the wide sidewalk. Cross through the Charles Street and Maryland Avenue intersections.
- Follow JFT/sidewalk adjacent to Amtrak tracks, cross street to other side and back again at Streetcar Museum.
- Follow JFT adjacent to stream. At Round Falls cross street and head up switchback.
- Make left on JFT adjacent to Wyman Park Drive (if interested in visiting Hampden or Johns Hopkins University detour by going right from trail here)
- Staying on the JFT, follow on bridge over stream, lightrail tracks, and I-83. Wyman Park Drive becomes East Drive and you will enter into Druid Hill Park. Follow past tennis courts.
- JFT intersects with bicycle.jogger/walker loop around reservoir-follow the loop either way.
- At the white marble Christopher Columbus Monument, exit the reservoir loop onto the JFT.
- The JFT will cross Swann Drive into a swampy forest and you will head up a slight hill.
- You will pass the Rawlings Conservatory and Botanic Gardens, The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore, The Grove of Remembrance (WWI), a frisbee golf course, and the the JFT enters a dense forest.
- Follow the switchback. At the bottom veer left and you will pop out of the forest on Parkdale Avenue in the Clipper Mill neighborhood.
- Make a right and share Clipper Park Rd through Clipper Mill until it intersect with Clipper Rd. The Woodberry light rail station is about 50 feet to the south. (you can take the light rail train back to the UB/Mt. Royal Station, which is near Penn Station or to the Convention Center, which is not far from Visitors Center if you wish)
Part 3 (south to north)
- From the intersection of Clipper Road/Clipper Park Rd (adjacent to Woodberry Light Rail stop)-make a left on Clipper Road and head north
- Share Clipper Road and pass a stone church and historic stone houses
- Trail passes through meadows and woods and passes by Jones Falls stream.
- Cross Cold Spring Lane and take trail up hill adjacent to Tamarind Rd.
- Follow trail until it merges with a shared sidewalk in Cold Spring neighborhood.
- Follow shared use path adjacent to Springarden Drive.
- Make right on path adjacent to Greenspring Avenue and then another right into Cylburn Arboretum.
- Follow path past nature center to Arboretum and mansion.